Baton Rouge Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me
If you’ve recently suffered the tragic and unexpected death of a family member in a Baton Rouge, Louisiana accident, call Palmintier Law Group. You deserve justice for your loss. Our experienced Baton Rouge wrongful death lawyers can help you fight for the maximum financial payout you need and deserve.
Since we were founded, the Palmintier Law Group has been trusted by grieving families in Baton Rouge and across the State of Louisiana. Collectively, our award-winning litigators have 80+ years of experience and an unrivaled ability to make a difference in the lives of the clients we represent.
Our law firm has won over $1 billion in settlements and jury awards in tough personal injury cases like yours. Today, we’re here to fight for you.
How Palmintier Law Group Can Help if You’ve Suffered the Wrongful Death of a Family Member in Baton Rouge, LA
It’s never easy losing someone you love. When the loss is the result of an avoidable accident, it can be that much more traumatic. While money will not bring your loved one back or erase the pain you’re experiencing, it can provide tremendous relief during a time of suffering (and for years to come).
Hold those responsible for your loved one’s wrongful death accountable, and let our Baton Rouge personal injury lawyers help.
After a fatal accident, you’ll be able to count on our award-winning Louisiana trial attorneys to:
- Handle all aspects of your wrongful death claim so that you can take this time to grieve your loss and begin to move forward
- Thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your loved one’s fatal accident and wrongful death
- Gather and analyze accident reports, video footage, photographs, medical records, forensic reports, witness statements, and other evidence
- Consult with highly regarded experts and specialists as we determine what your wrongful death case is likely worth
- File all appropriate claims and documents with the insurance company and/or local court on your behalf
- Represent your family’s best interests during settlement negotiations
- Aggressively pursue a top-dollar verdict at trial if your wrongful death lawsuit goes before a jury
At Palmintier Law Group, we offer unrivaled legal representation to families grappling with the tragic death of a close loved one. Call our Baton Rouge, LA law office to learn about the benefits of working with our top-rated legal team. We offer a free consultation and work on contingency – so there’s no cost to you unless we win compensation for your wrongful death case.
How Does Louisiana Define Wrongful Death?
In Louisiana, wrongful death is defined under La. Civ. Code Section 2315.2 as a “person [dyinig] due to the fault of another.”
So, pursuant to Louisiana state law, a wrongful death lawsuit can arise when a person’s death is the result of a person’s negligence, wrongful conduct, or intentionally harmful actions.
At Palmintier Law Group, we’ve been fighting for grieving Baton Rouge families in all types of wrongful death cases for decades, including those involving:
- Car accidents
- Trucks accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Uber and Lyft rideshare accidents
- Bus accidents
- Train accidents
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Matters of premises liability
- Slip and fall accidents
- Negligent security
- Workplace accidents
- Industrial accidents
- Electrocution accidents
- Construction accidents
- Maritime accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Catastrophic injuries, including brain injury, spinal cord injury, amputation, and severe burns
- Matters of product liability
Experience matters in these types of complex legal disputes. Our wrongful death attorneys in Baton Rouge have over eight decades of combined experience fighting for families like yours. Put our experience to work for you. Call our trusted legal team to set up a time to discuss the details of your wrongful death case today.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Louisiana?
Typically, a person who is injured in an accident reserves the right to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit for damages against a liable party. The right to seek compensation doesn’t disappear just because the victim dies. Instead, it shifts to specific surviving family members.
The victim’s surviving spouse and child(ren) reserve the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit after a fatal accident in Baton Rouge.
If there is no surviving spouse or child, the right to bring a wrongful death claim belongs to the victim’s:
- Mother and/or father (unless they abandoned the victim during childhood)
- Brother and/or sister, or
- Grandfather and/or grandmother.
Louisiana state law specifically provides that adoptive family members have the same rights under the law as biological family members.
What’s My Baton Rouge Wrongful Death Case Worth?
It’s hard to put a price on losing someone you love. When it comes to a wrongful death lawsuit, many factors will play a role in determining its value.
- How old was the victim at the time of their wrongful death?
- Did the victim’s own negligence contribute to their fatal accident?
- Did the victim survive their fatal injuries for any period of time?
- What medical bills were incurred before death?
- What did the victim’s funeral cost?
- Did the victim support the plaintiffs (surviving family members) financially?
- Was the victim likely to earn a higher income as they grew older?
- Did the victim support the household in non-financial ways?
- What was the relationship between the victim and the plaintiff?
Those responsible for the tragic death and their insurance carriers will work tirelessly to minimize the value of a wrongful death claim. Don’t give them the opportunity to limit what your case is worth. Level the playing field by enlisting the help of a trusted personal injury law firm near you in Baton Rouge, LA.
At Palmintier Law Group, we’ll carefully examine the specific facts and circumstances of your wrongful death case. We’ll bring in trusted experts – including forensic specialists, accountants, financial experts, and psychologists – to offer insight into your damages and their potential value.
When it’s time to negotiate, we’ll have prepared a compelling legal claim backed by hard facts and solid evidence that sets you up for the result you deserve.
What Types of Damages Can Be Awarded in a Louisiana Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Wrongful death lawsuits are different from other types of personal injury claims in a variety of ways. One includes the types of damages that can be awarded. After all, wrongful death lawsuits are intended to compensate the family, not the victim.
When you file a wrongful death lawsuit after a fatal accident, you can pursue both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages, intended to offset financial costs and losses related to your family member’s death, can include money for:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical bills paid prior to death
- Lost wages and financial support
- Value of household services provided
- Loss of inheritance
Non-economic damages, intended to compensate for the trauma of losing a family member, can include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of companionship
- Mental anguish
If your family member’s death was the result of the defendant’s intentionally harmful or grossly negligent conduct, a jury could potentially award punitive damages, as well. However, these damages may only be awarded in Louisiana for specific types of cases – one example is for car accidents involving drunk driving.
Can Shared Fault Affect My Louisiana Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Yes. Louisiana’s pure comparative negligence statute applies to wrongful death litigation. If the decedent contributed to their fatal accident in any way, it would have a direct impact on the family’s related wrongful death lawsuit.
Let’s say your spouse was killed in a car accident in Baton Rouge. They’re assigned 10 percent of the blame for the fatal wreck. When you file a wrongful death claim, a settlement or jury award will be reduced by 10 percent to account for their negligence.
Our experienced wrongful death attorneys in Baton Rouge will help you defend your loved one’s reputation and fight back against claims of shared responsibility. Our goal isn’t just to help you win your case, but to recover the maximum amount payable under Louisiana state law.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Louisiana?
Wrongful death lawsuits are subject to a one-year statute of limitations in the State of Louisiana.
The deadline begins to run on the date of the victim’s death. This may or may not be the same date as their fatal accident.
You will lose the right to demand monetary justice if you fail to file your wrongful death claim before the applicable statute of limitations expires. Contact our law office as soon as you can to ensure you file your lawsuit on time.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Baton Rouge Wrongful Death Lawyer
Are you struggling with the unexpected death of a family member after a tragic accident in Baton Rouge, Louisiana? Contact Palmintier Law Group. Our Baton Rouge wrongful death lawyers are here to offer the support and guidance you need during this trying time.
You have one shot at getting justice for your loved one’s wrongful death. We’re here to put 80+ years of combined experience and the full force of our law firm behind your case to help you make the most of it.
Contact our Baton Rouge, LA law office to get started with a free consultation today.
Highly Rated Funeral Services In Baton Rouge
- Church Funeral Services & Crematory – 5535 Superior Dr, Baton Rouge, LA 70816
- Wilson-Wooddale Funeral Home & Cremation Services – 1553 Wooddale Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70806
- Rabenhorst Funeral Homes & Crematory – 11000 Florida Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70815
- Resthaven Gardens of Memory & Funeral Home – 11817 Jefferson Hwy, Baton Rouge, LA 70816
- A. Hamilton Platinum Funeral Service – 2055 Wooddale Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70806
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Our personal injury law firm in Baton Rouge, LO also handles:
- Baton Rouge Brain Insurance Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Burn Injury Lawyer
- Child Injury Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Car Accident Lawyer
- Construction Accidents Attorneys in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Dog Bite Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Personal Injury Lawyer in Baton Rouge, LO
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Baton Rouge, LO
- Product Liability Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Slip and Fall Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Truck Accident Attorneys
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Workplace Accidents Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Baton Rouge, LO