Baton Rouge Child Injury Lawyer
Was your child recently injured in an accident in Baton Rouge, LA? Your family doesn’t have to struggle with the costs alone. An experienced Baton Rouge child injury lawyer at Palmintier Law Group can help you fight to recover the compensation you deserve from those responsible.
Our top-rated trial lawyers have over 80 years of combined experience in personal injury law. We’re passionate advocates for our injured clients. Our dedication has helped us recover over $1 billion in settlements and verdicts for families like yours.
You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, future disability, pain, suffering, and more. To schedule a free consultation with a member of our team, contact our office online or at (225) 344 3735.
How Palmintier Law Group Can Help With a Child Injury Claim in Baton Rouge
Kids get hurt every day. That’s a fact of life and a natural part of growing up. However, the situation changes when a child is injured due to an adult’s careless, reckless, or wrongful act. In those cases, parents have a right to seek justice–typically, by recovering financial compensation.
That said, careless people and their insurance companies won’t be rushing to make amends. Most families have to fight to receive a fair settlement award.
At Palmintier Law Group, our Baton Rouge personal injury attorneys know how important it is to make a full financial recovery. Our lawyers have earned an AV-Preeminent rating for our skilled legal representation.
Hire us, and we will:
- Launch a thorough investigation into the circumstances of your child’s injury
- Determine who is legally responsible
- Assess your damages
- Hire experts to assess your future damages and emotional losses
- Negotiate fiercely with the insurance companies for the maximum compensation available
You don’t have to wait to seek legal advice. Call our Baton Rouge personal injury lawyers for a free consultation today.
Child Injuries in Baton Rouge: An Overview
Each child is unique.
However, depending on their age, most kids share two key characteristics:
- They’re naturally curious
- They don’t always appreciate risks in the same way as adults
Those two factors greatly increase the risk of accidents and injuries. They are also things that we can’t change about children, even with the most careful parenting.
That’s why we put adults in charge. When adults neglect their duties and a child is injured, they can be held financially accountable.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for My Child’s Injuries?
Anyone whose negligence causes a child’s injuries can be held liable, including:
- Negligent caregivers, including teachers, daycare centers, schools, babysitters, and summer camps.
- Negligent drivers
- Business owners who fail to maintain safe property conditions
- Manufacturers of defective toys, car seats, and other products
- Sports coaches
- Employers of negligent individuals
- Property owners who fail to protect kids from attractive nuisances
- Government agencies who are responsible for maintaining playgrounds and parks in a safe condition
- School districts
- Clergy and religious institutions
- Organizations like the Boy Scouts or YMCA
A number of different legal theories can be relevant in proving your child’s personal injury case. Most of these cases are based on negligence. That said, there are nuances to various types of negligence claims. In any case, it’s important to have an experienced Baton Rouge child injury attorney on your family’s side.
Contact Palmintier Law Group today to tell us your story and determine the best path for recovering fair financial compensation.
Types of Liability for Child Injuries in Louisiana
The basis for your personal injury claim depends on how your child was hurt.
Potential liability may include:
Property owners have a duty to keep their premises reasonably safe for invited guests and visitors. That includes kids.
Owners have a heightened duty to protect young children from attractive nuisance on their premises. Examples of attractive nuisances include swimming pools, ponds, abandoned appliances, and similar dangerous conditions.
General negligence theories apply in most motor vehicle accident claims. If your child was injured in a car crash or hit by a car while walking or riding their bicycle, it’s often because the driver was negligent.
The elements of negligence include:
- Legal duty of care
- Breach of duty
Negligence theories are also relevant if your child was injured because a trusted caretaker failed to properly supervise your child
Manufacturers of defective products are subject to strict liability laws. That means they can be held liable when they sell defective products, even if there’s no proof of negligence. Whether your child was injured due to a defective toy, car seat, or crib mattress, our lawyers can help you gather the proof you need to hold them accountable.
We Handle All Types of Child Injury Claims in Baton Rouge
While this list is certainly not exhaustive, some of the most common types of childhood injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Wrist and ankle injuries
- Knee injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Spinal cord injuries
- Facial injuries and eye injuries
- Soft tissue damage (strains and sprains)
- Internal organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries, including amputations, paralysis, vision loss, and even wrongful death
Of course, you should seek medical attention as quickly as possible if your child is injured. If your family is struggling with painful injuries because an adult was careless, it’s also important to consult a lawyer who can protect you.
What Are the Some Potential Long-Term Consequences of a Serious Childhood Injury?
The list of potential outcomes is essentially endless–because every child will respond differently to corrective treatments. With any luck, your child will make a full recovery with time. Unfortunately, however, that’s not always the case.
Depending on the nature of your child’s injuries, long-term consequences may include:
- Limited mobility or loss of mobility
- Developmental delays
- Post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD) and fear
- Anxiety disorders
- Cognitive disabilities
- Learning disabilities
- Low self-esteem and lack of confidence
- Specialized education needs
- Issues with anger and rage
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Medication dependency
- Reliance on medical devices or prosthetics
- Assistance with basic activities of daily living
These consequences include both physical disabilities and emotional struggles. Your family deserves to be compensated for the full range of losses the accident and injury have caused.
Our compassionate team of lawyers is here to fight for the full compensation you deserve. We’ll take the time to evaluate all of your losses, including anticipated future losses that can be difficult to understand.
What Causes Most Child Injuries in Louisiana?
There’s a near-endless list of ways a child can get hurt.
In our experience, some of the most common causes of childhood injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Negligent supervision
- Slip and fall accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Sports accidents
- Dog bites
- Truck accidents
- School bus accidents
- Swimming pool accidents and drownings
- Fireworks accidents
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Boating accidents
- Accidents involving recreational vehicles
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Birth injuries
- Intentional child abuse and assault
Children are vulnerable to many different types of risks and threats. When our lawyers handle your case, we’ll conduct a detailed investigation to determine who and what caused your child’s injury. Then we’ll do everything possible to hold them accountable.
What Is My Baton Rouge Child Injury Lawsuit Worth?
Childhood injuries have the potential to change a child’s entire future. When the impact of the injury can span decades, it’s particularly important to understand how much compensation you deserve. After all, you still only have one shot to recover fair compensation.
The value of your child injury case will depend on:
- The overall severity of your child’s injury
- Whether your child will suffer a long-term or permanent disability
- How the disability will impact your child’s future, considering quality of life, education prospects, and future earning potential
- Damage to your child’s emotional wellbeing
- Your family’s suffering and expenses, including your lost wages during your child’s recovery
For more detailed information, call our lawyers for a free case review today.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Child’s Injuries in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
You can recover economic damages and non-economic damages, potentially including:
- Medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Increased childcare costs
- Special education
- Counseling and therapies
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of a normal childhood
- Additional damages in wrongful death cases
Insurance companies will try to minimize your losses. Call Palmintier Law Group for help identifying and documenting your damages.
How Long Do I Have To File a Personal Injury Injury Lawsuit if My Child Was Injured in Louisiana?
The statute of limitations in Louisiana is only one year. As a parent, you can file a lawsuit on behalf of your child within one year of their injury. However, if you don’t take legal action, your child can sue for damages once they turn 18. The one-year clock starts to run on their 18th birthday.
There are exceptions to the statute of limitations; to best protect you and your child’s right to legal recourse, contact us as soon as possible for help with your case.
Contact an Experienced Baton Rouge Child Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Was your child recently injured because an adult was careless? Do you have questions about your legal options? Contact an experienced Baton Rouge child injury lawyer at Palmintier Law Group for a free case review today.
Our personal injury law firm in Baton Rouge, LO also handles:
- Baton Rouge Brain Insurance Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Burn Injury Lawyer
- Child Injury Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Car Accident Lawyer
- Construction Accidents Attorneys in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Dog Bite Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Personal Injury Lawyer in Baton Rouge, LO
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Baton Rouge, LO
- Product Liability Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Slip and Fall Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Truck Accident Attorneys
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Workplace Accidents Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Baton Rouge, LO