Baton Rouge Truck Accident Lawyer
Were you or a family member recently injured in a car accident involving a big rig or semi truck in Baton Rouge, LA? You may deserve compensation if the accident wasn’t your fault. An experienced Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer at Palmintier Law Group can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Whether you’re going up against an insurance company or a big trucking corporation, our lawyers are ready to put over 80 years of combined experience to work for you.
We’ve recovered over $1 billion in settlements and verdicts for injured clients like you. To learn how we can help, contact our law offices in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, at (225) 344 3735 to schedule a free consultation today.
Why Should I Call Palmintier Law Group for Help After a Truck Accident in Baton Rouge?
After a serious truck wreck, there’s a good chance that you’re dealing with painful and even life-changing injuries. If someone else caused the crash, you’re likely entitled to pursue compensation.
While you may have a legitimate claim for damages, a lengthy insurance battle is the last thing you need. While you’re recovering, our Baton Rouge personal injury attorneys at Palmintier Law Group will handle the fight for compensation.
Our lawyers have earned an AV-Preeminent rating for our exceptional legal services. Over the years, we’ve helped countless accident victims secure the meaningful financial awards they need.
When you trust us to provide legal representation, we will:
- Dig deep and gather all available evidence to prove your truck accident claim
- Determine the cause of the accident and who is responsible
- Seek fair compensation from all responsible parties
- Protect you from lowball settlement offers and blame-shifting scare tactics
- Deal with the insurance companies and handle all negotiations
- Fight to protect you in the courtroom if necessary to secure a fair settlement
Crash victims often worry about how they’ll pay for medical care and other costs while they recover. Our Baton Rouge personal injury lawyers will be your fiercest advocates. Call our law firm today to learn more about how we can help.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in Louisiana?
Louisiana State University publishes reports on truck accidents in the State of Louisiana. In 2022, 99 people were killed in car accidents involving commercial motor vehicles. Further, 2,112 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks that year.
In East Baton Rouge Parish, 353 truck accidents were reported in 2022 (90 additional crashes were reported in West Baton Rouge). Unfortunately, at least 12 people were killed in those crashes.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
Truck drivers are required to obtain commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs). They’re also subject to state and federal regulations. Still, large, heavy trucks can be extremely dangerous when they’re sharing the roads with smaller passenger vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
According to accident reports, careless driving and failure to yield the right-of-way were the two most common causes of truck accidents in Louisiana in 2022.
Some prime examples of careless driving behaviors include:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued truck drivers and violation of FMCSA hours-of-service rules
- Aggressive driving
- Road rage
- Racing through intersections
- Dangerous left-hand turns
- Driving while under the influence of drugs
- Drunk driving
- Failure to maintain the truck in safe condition
- Failure to regularly inspect the vehicle
- Hiring unqualified truck drivers
- Driving in a vehicle’s blind spots
Poor weather, dangerous road conditions, and vehicle defects can also contribute to the cause of a trucking accident.
Who Is Responsible for Paying My Damages After a Truck Wreck in Baton Rouge?
Anyone who was even slightly responsible for the crash can be on the hook for your damages
Depending on the facts, at-fault parties may include:
- The truck driver
- A trucking company that hired the truck driver
- Third-party drivers
- Freight brokers
- Mechanics and maintenance companies
- Government agencies
Our accident attorneys in Baton Rouge will conduct a full investigation to determine who might owe you compensation for your injuries. Contact our team at Palmintier Law Group today to learn more about your legal options.
What Is My Baton Rouge Truck Accident Case Worth?
The value of any personal injury claim depends on the unique facts involved in the situation. The circumstances surrounding the accident and the nature of your injuries will both be important.
More specifically, your case’s value will depend on:
- The types of injuries you suffered
- Whether your doctor expects a full physical recovery
- Whether your ability to work and earn a living has been impacted
- Your emotional suffering and the trauma you experienced
- The cost of your medical treatment, rehabilitation, and other expenses
- Your anticipated future need for ongoing medical care or therapy
- The injury’s long-term impact on your quality of life and lifestyle
- Whether you share any responsibility for the accident
At Palmintier Law Group, we’ve been handling personal injury cases like yours for decades. We offer free case reviews, so contact us today to discuss your case and learn more about how much compensation you deserve.
What Types of Damages Can Victims of Truck Accidents Recover By Filing a Claim for Compensation?
Accident victims in Louisiana can generally recover compensation for their economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are financial expenses, including:
- Medical expenses, including ER visits, hospitalization, medications, follow-up doctor’s visits
- Future costs, including future medical bills, rehab, therapy, and more
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Property damage to your vehicle
You can also pursue compensation for the trauma and life changes you have experienced, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress
- PTSD and fear
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
In limited instances, punitive damages may be available. However, punitive damages are limited to specific types of cases in Louisiana – such as when the at-fault driver was driving drunk at the time of the crash. Even then, these damages are rarely awarded by courts.
Can I Recover Compensation if I’m Being Blamed for Causing a Truck Accident in Louisiana?
Louisiana is a pure comparative negligence state. You can still recover compensation if you share some blame. Your compensation will be reduced to account for your share of fault.
Insurance companies and defense lawyers will probably try to blame you. The more fault you share, the less they pay. Hiring an experienced attorney is the best way to protect yourself so that you walk away with the maximum compensation possible.
Do I Have To Prove Negligence to Recover Compensation After a Truck Accident in Louisiana?
Louisiana is a tort state when it comes to car insurance claims. To recover compensation after an injury crash, you must prove that someone else caused the accident. Most often, that means you must prove negligence.
Negligence is a failure to exercise reasonable caution.
In other words, someone is negligent when:
- They had a legal duty of care
- They breached that duty
- The breach of duty directly caused an accident
- A victim suffers damages
After a serious truck wreck, there’s often a lot of finger-pointing. Multiple parties can be legally responsible for the same crash. As the victim, it’s up to you to produce evidence to prove your case.
That evidence may include:
- The truck’s event data recorder (often called the truck’s “black box”)
- Evidence about skid marks, vehicle damage, road conditions, and other data from the accident scene
- The truck’s inspection and maintenance logs
- The truck driver’s hours-of-service log
- Video surveillance footage
- Eyewitness statements
- The truck driver’s records and driving history
- Information about the truck company’s hiring and screening practices
In complex and highly contested cases, our attorneys may even hire accident reconstruction specialists who can testify about what they think happened.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Truck Accident Injuries
At Palmintier Law Group, our experienced Baton Rouge truck accident attorneys often handle injury cases involving:
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Chest injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
If you were injured in a commercial vehicle accident, get in touch with our lawyers in Baton Rouge today. We know that things are tough right now–and we never charge a fee unless we recover compensation in your case.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Commercial Truck Accident in Louisiana?
Under Louisiana law, you have only one year to file a personal injury lawsuit. The one-year statute of limitations starts to run on the date of the accident.
That makes it important to speak with a lawyer quickly after a crash. If you were involved in a truck accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to our legal team for help filing a Baton Rouge truck accident claim today.
Contact a Trusted Baton Rouge Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Trucks are large, heavy, and can cause serious damage when they’re involved in auto accidents. If you were hurt, call Palmintier Law Group to schedule a free case review with an experienced Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer today. We’ll do everything we can to help you get the maximum compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury law firm in Baton Rouge, LO also handles:
- Baton Rouge Brain Insurance Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Burn Injury Lawyer
- Child Injury Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Car Accident Lawyer
- Construction Accidents Attorneys in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Dog Bite Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Personal Injury Lawyer in Baton Rouge, LO
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Baton Rouge, LO
- Product Liability Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Baton Rouge Slip and Fall Lawyers
- Baton Rouge Truck Accident Attorneys
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Workplace Accidents Lawyers in Baton Rouge, LO
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Baton Rouge, LO