Should I Hire a Lawyer After a Minor Car Accident in Baton Rouge, LA?
Car accidents can be distressing, even if they are minor. While the initial shock and adrenaline rush can mask injuries, a lawyer can help you identify and document these injuries in order to obtain compensation.
In this blog post, we’ll shed light on the key reasons to consult a lawyer — even if the accident seems insignificant.
Why Seek Legal Consultation After a Minor Car Accident?
It is difficult to know whether a minor car crash resulted in an injury. You can protect yourself and seek compensation for any injuries you incurred by hiring a lawyer.
Here are a few reasons to seek legal advice:
- Hidden Injuries: Minor accidents can result in injuries, such as whiplash and concussions, that may not manifest immediately. By seeking legal consultation, you can protect your right to compensation if these injuries become apparent.
- Ensuring a Proper Medical Evaluation: An attorney can guide you in choosing the right healthcare providers who are experienced in identifying and documenting injuries resulting from car accidents. This documentation is crucial for any potential legal claims.
- Preserving Evidence: After a minor car accident, it’s easy to overlook the importance of preserving evidence. An attorney can advise you on the steps to take to collect and retain evidence, including photographs of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and any visible injuries.
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies are known for their tactics to minimize payouts. A lawyer can handle communications with insurance companies, ensuring that you receive fair compensation.
- Legal Experience: Lawyers understand the nuances of personal injury law and can assess the potential long-term consequences of your injuries.
- Navigating the Legal Process: If your injuries turn out to be more severe than initially thought, pursuing a personal injury claim can be a complex process. An attorney can navigate the legal system on your behalf, ensuring that deadlines are met and paperwork is filed correctly.
Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident can be stressful. Having an experienced personal injury lawyer by your side provides peace of mind. An attorney can identify opportunities for you to be compensated, help you build a claim, and fight for your recovery.
What Steps Should I Take After a Minor Car Accident in Baton Rouge?
There are a few things that you can do to protect yourself after a minor car accident:
Report the Event to the Police
Louisiana law requires that a crash be reported to the local police department (or sheriff if the crash happened in an unincorporated area). Report it immediately if it results in injury, death, or apparent property damage exceeding $500. To be safe, consider calling 911 after any type of collision.
Exchange names, addresses, registration numbers for the vehicles involved, and, if possible, driver’s license information. This is also required by Louisiana law.
Do Not Admit Fault
Do not admit fault either to the other party or to the police. Your attorney will gather the facts on liability. Admitting fault can jeopardize your recovery, especially under Louisiana’s comparative fault law.
See a Doctor
Since you may not be aware of your injuries immediately, you should see a doctor to identify any injuries that you may have missed. These injuries can get worse over time, so it is important to identify them early on and include them in a claim for compensation.
Review the Crash Report
Louisiana requires the state police, local police departments, and sheriff’s offices to provide copies of crash reports to the Department of Transportation within 48 hours of completing their investigation. You can request these reports for a minimal fee, usually $5 for a two-page report.
Do Not Agree to a Settlement Without a Lawyer
The other party in the accident may have already hired a lawyer who is trying to offer you a low settlement. A skilled car accident lawyer will negotiate with both insurance companies and the opposing party to maximize your recovery.
What Will It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Baton Rouge?
Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not owe any attorney fees upfront. Instead, they only get paid if you receive compensation, usually a percentage of the recovery in the case. This motivates the attorneys to maximize your recovery and makes legal representation accessible to everyone.
Speak with a Baton Rouge Car Accident Lawyer Today If You Were Involved in a Minor Collision
While minor car accidents may seem insignificant at first, an attorney can help uncover hidden injuries, ensure a proper medical evaluation, preserve essential evidence, handle insurance companies, and navigate the legal process if your injuries worsen.
Our dedicated team is here to assist you, whether your car accident is minor or severe. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our Baton Rouge car accident attorneys for a free consultation.
Contact Our Personal Injury Law Firm in Baton Rouge, LA
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and need legal help, contact our Baton Rouge personal injury lawyers at Palmintier Law Group to schedule a free consultation today.